There are several things to take into consideration when deciding on a domain name. Of course, the first thing to consider is your business name. If your business is named "Crystal's Crispity-Crunchity Country Cronuts", that probably won't be what you should name your domain. It needs to be simple. So, here are some things to think about when considering choosing a name:
- Easy to type - if you use real words, "you" as opposed to "u" your site will be much easier to find
- Keep it short - people are impatient and don't want to type a slew of letters just to get to your site
- use keywords - use words that describe your business and the services you offer. for example, if you are a mobile car wash, you may want to choose MobileCarWash.com as opposed to DaveysCleanCars.com
- if your business is local, consider including your city or state in your domain name (example: fortsmithmobilecarwash.com)
- avoid using numbers or hyphens - people who hear your website address don’t know if you’re using a numeral (5) or it’s spelled out (five) or they misplace or forget the dash. If you really need these in your domain, register the different variations to be safe.
- be memorable - with so many domains out there, make yours memorable. If you have a health and fitness website consider naming it something like stayinalive.com (nobody will forget the song by the bee gees - "And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive - Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive - Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive")
- research it - makes sure the domain name you choose isn't trademarked, copyrighted, or being used by another company.
- use the correct domain extension - these have meaning so make sure you choose the correct one that corresponds with your business:
- .co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .info : informational sites.
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .org : non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .biz : business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites.
After you have decided on a name, you have to see if it is available. If you need help finding this out, give us a call and we will get you headed in the right direction.